Pueblo Elementary Dual Language Immersion Program
What is the Dual Language Immersion Program?
English speaking students spend half of the day learning subjects in Spanish and the other half learning in English. Students are taught the appropriate curriculum for their grade, but will hear the subject matter in Spanish. Both English and Spanish curriculums are in alignment with state testing. Students are provided with ample English instruction in all subjects to prepare for AIMS assessments. By choosing an immersion program, you are challenging and stimulating your child’s cognitive, social and linguistic development, giving them a unique advantage for tomorrow’s world.
25 reasons to Study Foreign Languages
- Creates positive attitudes and less prejudice toward people who are different.
- Improved analytical skills
- Business skills + foreign language skills make an employee more valuable in marketplace.
- Dealing with another culture enables people to gain more profound understanding of their own culture.
- Creativity is increased
- Increased communication skills
- Easier international travel
- Increased development of problem solving
- Enhances one’s opportunities in government, business, medicine, law, technology, military, marketing, etc.
- Second language improves skills and grades in math and english SAT and GRE.
- 4 out of 5 new jobs created as a result of foreign trade
- Competitive edge in career choices
- Enhances listening skills and memory
- Participates more effectively and responsibly
- Improved marketable skills
- Offers a sense of the past – culturally & linguistically
- Improved vocabulary and knowledge of one’s own language
- Teaches and encourages respect for other people
- Expands one’s view of the world
- Limits the barriers between people: barriers cause distrust and fear
- Dual language leads to an appreciation of cultural diversity
- As immigration increases we need to prepare for changes in the American society
- Being bilingual is a distinct advantage in global market
- Opens the door to art, music, dance, fashion, cuisine, film, philosophy, science, etc.
- Dual language study is simply part of a very basic liberal education: to ‘educate’ is to lead out, lead out of confinement and narrowness and darkness.